Adopting a horse who is in need of a home can be a rewarding and exciting experience, but it’s important not to rush into horse ownership.
If you are thinking about adopting a horse in need of a home, either privately or through an established rescue or re-homing organization, ask yourself the following questions:
- Am I prepared for the hard work that comes with horse ownership?
- Do I have the financial resources to maintain a horse?
- Do I have a suitable place to house a horse?
- Do I have access to the resources I need to properly care for a horse, especially one with special physical needs?
- Do I have enough horse experience to safely handle and care for a horse?
- Am I willing to commit to giving a horse a “forever” home or finding suitable care for it if I’m no longer able to look after it?
If adopting a horse is a commitment you are ready to take on, Ontario Equestrian Federation is here to provide you with information and resources to assist you.